Monday, September 14, 2009

Next Up...

Dustin has been having about one seizure a week on average. He was able to stay at school last week after he had one. Playing football is a big motivator for him. Today he did have one at school and he came home and was still sleeping when I talked to my mom around seven. He didn't make it down to the nurses office, but the seizure took place in the hallway. Unfortunately, this means that the other students have to stay in their classrooms until he 'wakes up'. After he seizes and is in a postictal state he is like dead weight. According to his football roster he weighs 260lbs, but I think that's slightly incorrect. Ha...we'd really be in trouble then. Although, at around 220 lbs he's still difficult to move. We have met with the school to consider writing an IEP for him under other health impairment. Hopefully, this would allow him to continue to keep up with school even if he has a seizure during the week. Missing even one day every two weeks really can add up. I know that he's getting frustrated. He constantly has a severe headache. He told my mom today that he's got to get better soon. He can't keep feeling like this.
We go back to Rush on the 22nd to meet with his new doctor again. Hopefully he will have some other ideas for treatment. I think Dustin is just sick of the constant head aches and the interruptions epilepsy can bring to everyday life.
In my previous post I had written about the site...Talkaboutit.org. I'm assuming that not many people actually went there since neither my mom nor my sister, Heidi, noticed that entire paragraph at the end of my well written blog. So, anyway, if you do take a minute to log on to there and click on the parent section you will see Greg Grunberg interviewing Dustin's new doctor from Rush, Michael Smith, MD. It's also interesting to note that both Dr. Smith and Greg Grunberg have sons with epilepsy. It's a pretty cool site...oh, and Greg Grunberg has been on or in Lost, one of the Austin Powers movies, Felicity, Hallow Man and the Pallbearer.
I'll try and update after our appointment on Tuesday. Also, if you're praying...keep my mom in your prayers. She has cirrohsis of the liver and is in liver failure and her doctors aren't sure why. She has a biopsy on Friday. What her doctor thinks is happening is that she might have autoimmune hepititas which can cause her immune system to attack her liver. If this is what is causing he liver failure then it would be very treatable and she would begin to feel better in a couple of weeks. Hope you don't mind me putting that out there for the everyone to read on the WORLD WIDE web, Mom...but we love you!

1 comment: