Wednesday, March 11, 2009

answered prayer

Today seemed to be a good day. I am so thankful for the many prayers and words of encouragement from everyone! They mean so much to Dustin and our family. Tonight after my mom told me how she and Dustin's day went and Dustin joked around with us a little I wondered did we over react yesterday? Maybe things aren't so hard. That was my first thought. It shouldn't have been. We reached out for prayers from everyone. Those prayers were heard and answered. I wish that when I saw that we had an easier day today I first would have thanked God. I wish I would have given him that glory instead of thinking it was something WE did. Thank you again for praying and continuing to pray. It's so easy when things are easier to continue our day without God. If we learn anything from this it's to rely and trust him all the time even when things are good. 
So, obviously today was a better day than yesterday. Dustin has an appointment to go to IU on the 17th. The nurse or receptionist assured my mom that nothing more invasive than a blood draw would be done at this appointment. I think that made him feel better. We are just so glad to finally be on our way to get some answers. 
Dustin decided today that he wanted a fauxhawk and both of his ears pierced. He's never wanted his ears pierced before, but a few of his friends have them pierced so I guess he assumed he should get his done first. At first my dad protested but then my mom reminded him that we girls got our ears pierced at 5 so he couldn't make Dustin wait till he was 18. I told him tonight that he had never wanted his ears pierced before. He said 'thanks for telling me now'. He figures if he gets his memory back and doesn't like them he'll just take them out. For now he is happy with  and I don't think that's a battle anyone wants to fight. His new haircut and 'bling' look pretty good.
We also found out today that the IU Med Center offers free inservices on epilepsy to teachers and staff. That was pretty encouraging. I think going back to school is something Dustin is probably very fearful of and possibly his teachers and peers as well. The more knowledge we can offer them the more comfortable they will probably feel. It will also be good to have the staff educated and hopefully they can help him in any struggles they see happening or foresee in the future.
Dustin is a die hard Cardinals fan, but since he can't remember this everyone has been insisting when they talk to him that he loves the Cubs. Fortunately for him his room is covered in Cardinals things so he knows where his loyalties are. He also didn't believe me tonight when I told him he usually cleans the bathroom ( I think he did until I smiled). He also doesn't seem to believe that he kept his room clean before last Tuesday either. 
Dustin will be going back to school tomorrow. My mom has been waiting for the Ativan shots to be approved by the insurance. Finally today she asked how much they were...$12! Seriously and another $12 for syringes. So, the meds have been purchased without insurance approval! How crazy but good that he will have them. I think he may be nervous about school, but also looking forward to his life getting back to normal. 
Again we thank you for your prayers and support. I"m so thankful to the people that posted the address on their blogs and for the people that we don't even know who have reached out and blessed us with their prayers. I really feel as though those prayers are being answered and will continue to be. I don't know what God's will is in this, but just knowing that he is in control is comforting. 
Remember to continue to ask God for peace for Dustin. I pray that he truly feels him in his life during this time. Pray for us as his family to turn to God at all times and that our faith will increase daily. Pray for my mom as she spends the most time with Dustin and it is trying and I know she misses her job and the students she worked with. Pray for Dustin as he returns to school tomorrow. Pray for wisdom and patience for his teachers and his friends. Pray for strength and encouragement for Dustin as he returns to a place that is now so unfamiliar to him and filled with people who will know him and he won't recognize. I can't even imagine what that will be like. Also, pray for the seizures and any seizure activity to cease. As he returns to school I'm sure he will be more stressed and pray that he can control his emotions and stay peaceful. 

1 comment: